The beach of Costa Rei is one of the most beautiful stretches of southern Sardinia. The coast where the famous “Scoglio di Peppino” rises, a large granite boulder in the middle of the sea shaped like a whale. 10 kilometers of fine white sand surrounded by palm trees and specimens of the Mediterranean maquis.
Costa Rei beach is one of the most beautiful and most visited in Sardinia. Let’s talk about one of the most characteristic stretches of coast of the island, protected by the Mistral, where the sea lily reigns, the palms and the typical Mediterranean vegetation. In some places, the rocks that emerge from the water create natural pools. The most characteristic is the “Scoglio di Peppino”, in the beach of Santa Giusta.
How to get there
The beach of Costa Rei is part of the municipality of Muravera, in Cagliari. It stretches for about 10 kilometers from Porto Piratsu to Cala Sinzias. Taking the coast road to Villasimius you get to the Ichnusa street and from here the streets lead to the different landing points of this long stretch of beach.
The pearls of Costa Rey
In its 10 kilometers of soft white sand, Costa Rei counts the most beautiful places in Sardinia:
- The beach of Capo Ferrato, behind which there is a pine forest equipped for picnics.
- Cala Pira beach: a small bay, dominated by the Torre di Cala Pira, of thin white and pink sand. Especially recommended for children.
- Cala Sinzias: this bay, with its white sandy beach and crystal clear waters, is much loved by surfers. Ideal also for those traveling by camper.
- Cala Monte Turnu: this beach takes its name from the volcanic rock hill behind it. Ideal place to practice snorkeling and visit the many caves that lie on the sea floor.
- Marina Rei: fine white sand, crystalline sea and shallow water make this beach the ideal destination for families with small children.
- Sant’Elmo beach: several access points lead to this rather long beach with a fine white sand bottom on one side and a pebble bottom on the other.
- The beach of Santa Giusta: also this beach is very long and made of fine white sand. It is famous for the “Scoglio di Peppino”, a huge boulder shaped granite, easily reachable on foot, which gives the landscape a special charm.
- Rei Pool: at this point, located at the center of the Costa Rei beach, some rocks emerge from the water, creating small pools. Ideal for diving and snorkelling
- Iba Sa Crescia: extends north of Piscina Rei. It is surrounded by a thick vegetation of Mediterranean vegetation and its waters, particularly crystalline, are preferred by lovers of wind and kyte surf.
- Porto Pirastu: particularly suitable for diving and underwater fishing, the beach offers clear waters and shallow waters.
The services of the Costa Rey beach
Costa Rei is mostly free but there are also short stretches equipped. We find from simple bars or kiosks, to refreshment points. You can rent umbrellas and sunbeds and, on some beaches, even dinghies. The beaches, with shallow waters, are particularly suitable for families with small children and also for tourists with reduced mobility.